At mobius, our vision is a world where There’s Wonder in Waste. We’re using chemistry, biology, engineering and design to convert organic waste streams into the materials, chemicals, fuels, and energy needed for our circular future. Our first technology platform is a zero-waste process to produce a family of 100% bio-based, naturally degradable and compostable plastics made from lignin, a plant-based waste product of the paper and biofuel industry. We are currently developing formulations and application technologies to replace petroleum-based plastics found in high-volume, single-use applications in agriculture and horticulture, food and consumer goods packaging, and textile fibers, as well next-generation technologies like engineered biocomposites and 3D printing.
The culture at mobius is always evolving, and the founders want each team member to bring aspects of their life, background, and hobbies into the company. Recently, we were selected by our peers as the #5 startup culture to work for in Knoxville. If you love solving complex problems, have a passion for sustainability and entrepreneurship, and value working with others from all walks of life, then our team is perfect for you!
Chemical or Polymer Engineering Intern
An engineering intern would work with the growing team on both technical and business development projects.
Examples of technical support tasks include:
- Assistance with development and analysis of lignin-based polymers
- Assistance with pilot production of continuous production systems for lignin-based polymers using industry-leading twin-screw extrusion equipment
- Assistance with pilot conversion of lignin-polymers in conversion systems such as injection molding, thermoforming, 3D printing, and melt-blown non-woven fiber mat manufacturing
- Preparation of polymer synthesis and/or biodegradation SOPs
- Assistance with preparation and submission of grant applications
Examples of business development tasks include:
- Contact target farms, nurseries, and greenhouses across the country in preparation for field trials of agricultural plastic products
- Coordinate and attend at least one summer conference/trade show with founders
- Participate in research and development of new markets for degradable plastics
Fun startup stuff:
- Joining founders at meetings and pitches with potential investors
- Generating and researching your own ideas for new waste to value technologies
- Background in physical science or engineering field
- Familiar with scientific literature databases and technical reading
- Attention to organization, detail and efficiency
- Strong interest in sustainability and social entrepreneurship