The SBIR/STTR Matching Fund program is a strategic initiative to advance the commercialization of innovations across the state. Developed and administered by LaunchTN, the program is funded for FY20 at $3 million through the Tennessee Department of Economic and Community Development.
The first FY20 application period is now closed.
Depending upon the availability of funds, applications received after Aug. 15, 2019, will be considered provisionally on a first-come, first-served basis for the following types of applications:
- Companies that won awards between July 2018-June 2019 but were late in applying for the SBIR/STTR Matching Fund
- Companies that received Notices of Award after June 30, 2019
FY20 Program Guidelines
- Early-stage companies applying for SBIR/STTR Matching Fund awards must contribute to the overall economic development of Tennessee and align with LaunchTN’s mission to support entrepreneurship and innovation across the state.
- SBIR/STTR awards between July 1, 2018, and June 30, 2019 (according to the Notice of Award date), are eligible for a match in the current program year.
- The FY20 Program Year is defined as July 1, 2019 to June 30, 2020.
- No individual company can receive match funding totaling more than $150,000 in the FY20 Program Year.
- Companies older than 10 years are limited to two matches every two Matching Fund program years.
- The total number of matches any company can receive in its lifetime is six.
- LaunchTN will review applications in the order received after the posted application period is closed.
- Eligible companies may submit multiple applications in the FY20 Program Year. However, we will first match the highest award (matching up to $150,000) along with companies that submitted single applications. Pending eligibility and availability of funds, we will consider a company’s second application if it has not yet maximized the $150,000 match cap for the FY20 Program Year.
- Companies receiving a match must remain headquartered in Tennessee for 24 months after award disbursement.
- Companies receiving a match must commit to annual reporting with LaunchTN.
The SBIR/STTR Matching Fund program applies the methodology outlined below to offer grant awards to early-stage companies commercializing technology throughout Tennessee:
- Phase I Match Calculations
- $0.50 per $1 SBIR/STTR for companies with principal businesses in Tier 1 and 2 counties
- $0.60 per $1 SBIR/STTR for companies with principal businesses in Tier 3 and 4 counties, Opportunity Zones, female-owned companies, minority-owned companies, veteran-owned companies, and companies owned by those with disabilities (per State definition).
- Phase II and Fast-Track Match Calculations
- $0.25 per $1 SBIR/STTR for all companies
Please note the application will require the following documents be attached:
- Notice of Award letter from the granting federal agency
- Winning grant application
- Company executive summary
- Use of matching grant funds
- Company Articles of Incorporation
Your application will not be considered complete, nor will your place in the funding queue be reserved, until all proper documentation is confirmed received via email by LaunchTN.