36|86: Student Edition »
36|86 hosted the inaugural Student Edition on June 4, 2017. The day-long event celebrated student entrepreneurship with programming tailored to the unique needs of young founders interested in taking an idea to market or growing an existing business.
36|86: Student Edition was comprised of a student pitch competition for $60,000 in total prizes, a fireside chat with inspiring names in student entrepreneurship and a networking reception with corporate partners, investors, potential mentors and more.
Companies were nominated from 21 pitch competitions across 13 Tennessee Universities to pitch.
Congratulations to the winners: Leaf, Gigamunch, With The Band and PATH EX who have each be awarded $15,000 in cash and access to resources necessary to grow a successful company!
All finalists and winners are detailed below.
WINNER: Leaf (Vanderbilt: Social Ventures Summit Pitch Competition)
Ed Pack Global (Lipscomb University: Kittrell Business Plan Competition)
Eco-floater by Eco-enterprises (UT Martin: Skyhawk Venture Challenge)
WINNER: Gigamunch (Tennessee Tech University: Eagle Works)
In With The Old (UTK: Undergrad Pitch Competition)
Bloom Brightly Paper Co (Belmont: Business Plan Competition)
WINNER: With The Band (Belmont: Business Plan Competition)
The Sorority Guide (UTK: Undergrad Pitch Competition)
AM Optics (Tennessee Tech University: Eagle Works)
WINNER: PATH EX (Vanderbilt: Tech Venture Challenge)
GeoAir (UTK: Vol Court)
GPS-911 (Vanderbilt: Owen Venture Challenge)
SimPath (UTK: Boyd Venture Challenge)
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
- June 4, 2017
- 2:00-6:00pm CT
- Global Action Platform Office @ OneCity in Nashville, TN
15 STUDENT FINALISTS RECEIVE:
- Opportunity to pitch at 36|86: Student Edition on June 4
- Promotion as Student Edition finalists
- 2 complimentary 36|86 badges
- Invitation to Village 36 networking brunch on June 5
- Two nights (June 4-5) lodging for two team members at 36|86 Entrepreneurs’ HQ: Music City Guest House
- $50 gift card to cover gas expenses
NEED TO KNOW:
- Companies in the University Venture Challenge are encouraged, but not required, to be established as a legal entity to facilitate reception of cash prizes.
- Winners will have 60 days after their award to establish as a legal entity. Companies ineligible to claim their prize within 60 days will forfeit their winnings to the runner-up.
- Judges will evaluate the proposed product or service, technology strength, business model and the team’s ability execute on the business model.
WHAT IS THE PROCESS?
- Step 1: Eligible teams will submit an electronic application to be reviewed by a team made up of LaunchTN staff, board members, entrepreneurs and investors. Applications are due May 3, 2017!
- Step 2: Up to 15 finalists will be selected to pitch at the 36|86: Student Edition on June 4 (the day before the 36|86 conference kicks off). Finalists will be notified May 16, 2017.
- Step 3: Finalists pitch at 36|86: Student Edition to a panel of seasoned judges who will select winners in five different categories.
- Step 4: Winners are announced!
WHO IS ELIGIBLE?
- Companies that placed in a Tennessee University Partner Competition in the 2016 or 2017 academic school year
- Companies nominated by a University Partner
- Companies that have raised equity capital below $50,000 from sources other than the founders or their friends and families (excluding SBIR/STTR grants)
- At least one team member must have been enrolled at the University Partners school at the time they won the competition