As we gear up for the 2022 LaunchTN Summer Internship Program, we continue our series connecting with former participants of the program! Today, we’re thrilled to introduce you to Emily, one of our wonderful interns from the 2021 cohort. We caught up with Emily to reflect on her time interning with her Memphis-based host company, MedHaul, and key takeaways from her experience.
Once again, welcome to the LaunchTN family, Emily! How did you hear about the LaunchTN Summer Internship Program?
I learned about the internship program through Handshake.
Who was your host company, and what category does their business fall under?
MedHaul – a Technology business in Memphis, Tennessee.
Could you name a few key people who helped shape your intern experience?
Nathalie Occean, COO of MedHaul.
What was one key thing you took away from your experience?
One key thing I pulled from this internship experience was my increased ability to ask questions. Often when put in a new environment, you don’t know what you don’t know, but I learned how to more efficiently ask questions to learn more.
What is one key career takeaway you walked away with?
I walked away with confidence in working on projects independently. Working on such a small team, there wasn’t always time for someone to check my work, so I had to learn what was important to check and what I could do on my own.
Can you share a project you worked on and why you enjoyed it?
I loved testing the new platform! I got to work very closely with our developers to report bugs and think of improvements for users.
How would you describe your internship experience in 3 words?
Independent, educational, well-rounded.
Did you have a favorite local business or restaurant in your host city?
Unfortunately, I didn’t make it to Memphis as part of my internship, but I did go there during the Hurricane Ida evacuation. I loved going to Mempops and Another Broken Egg Cafe!
What’s next for you and your career?
I’m not sure yet, but I have a few offers. 🙂
2022 LaunchTN Summer Internship Snapshot
- Application deadline: February 15, 2022
- Program taking place from May to August 2022
- Flexible start and end dates depending on student schedules and company preferences
- Be paired with a high-growth startup or entrepreneur center in Tennessee
- Stipend provided, totaling $7,200 for the 12-14 week program
- Residents of any state welcome to apply
- Ability to relocate to host city in Tennessee OR work remotely
- Currently enrolled as a college student (including in doctoral or master’s programs) or recent graduate (no earlier than December 2021)
To learn more about being an intern or to apply today: https://launchtn.org/students/internship-program/