About Launch Tennessee
Launch Tennessee (LaunchTN) is a public-private partnership dedicated to helping entrepreneurs stay in Tennessee to build companies and create jobs. We create collaboration among entrepreneurs, the private sector, capital sources, institutions and government to offer entrepreneurs what they need to succeed. Our five-year mission is to make Tennessee the most startup-friendly state in the nation.
LaunchTN’s Core Values: We believe in (1) Taking an entrepreneurial approach, (2) Entrepreneurship being transformational, (3) Collaboration being key to success, (4) Being driven to serve and (5) Enjoying the ride.
We’re hiring a dynamic, visionary Chief Executive Officer to take Tennessee entrepreneurship to the next level. This is a key role in building the startup ecosystem in Tennessee and in the Southeast, and the ideal candidate is excited by the opportunity to transform Tennessee into the most startup-friendly state in the nation.
The successful CEO is comfortable in many kinds of situations and conveys passion for the LaunchTN mission to any audience: Presenting to large groups, planning with Entrepreneur Center leaders, working with government stakeholders, such as the Governor and legislators, talking to the media, etc.
This role will work closely with the team, Board and ecosystem partners, focusing on implementing LaunchTN’s five-year strategic plan, strengthening the company’s culture and core values, coordinating the annual budget and ensuring that our company is an inclusive, collaborative and professional place to learn and work. You will make the five-year vision a reality, changing the lives of entrepreneurs in the process.
Who we are looking for: An inspiring, collaborative leader to manage a high-performing team and work with public and private sector partners across the state to support entrepreneurship, innovation and capital formation. Ideal candidates have a track record of successfully growing an organization, working with various types of stakeholders and executing across multiple priorities.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Champion entrepreneurship across Tennessee by enhancing existing alliances and building new ones that leverage public and private enterprises
- Lead implementation of the recently adopted five-year strategic plan for Launch Tennessee
- Secure financial resources required to support the strategic plan. Funding is required from various sources, including the state, federal grants, private corporations and events
- Lead and inspire a high-performing team to achieve strategic and programmatic goals
- Maintain strong communication and partnership with the Tennessee Department of Economic & Community Development (ECD)
- Advocate for startup-friendly legislation and financial support with the Tennessee State Legislature
- Manage the fiscal performance of the organization to budget
- Ensure financial and programmatic compliance with ECD and other state and federal audits
- Act as chief brand ambassador for the organization and Tennessee entrepreneurship, often on a national stage
- Manage Board of Director communications and engagement
- Track record of starting and leading companies/organizations/initiatives
- Ability to communicate effectively at multiple events and to different types of audiences
- A curated and strong network of relationships across a large footprint (regionally and nationally) to support mission
- Financial proficiency to manage annual budget
- Ability to develop aggressive strategic objectives and lead execution
- Servant leader driven by mission to transform lives and communities across Tennessee
- Proven ability to work with diverse groups including corporations, non-profits, public entities and institutions
- Proven ability to manage a 10 to 15-person team
- Commitment to creating an environment where LaunchTN associates and entrepreneurs representing diverse backgrounds and viewpoints are valued and supported
- Strong written and oral communication abilities
- Strong analytical and critical thinking skills
- 4-Year Bachelor’s degree
- Entrepreneurial experience building and leading companies/organizations (preferred)
- Angel or venture investment experience with successful track record of working closely with entrepreneurs and ecosystem builders
- Proven ability to build partnerships and sustain those relationships
- The position will be based in Nashville, TN