About Launch Tennessee
Launch Tennessee (LaunchTN) is a public-private partnership dedicated to entrepreneurship, with the ultimate goal of making Tennessee the most startup-friendly state in the nation. Our team coordinates statewide entrepreneurial support efforts; enhances the state’s innovation and commercialization activities; expands access to early-stage capital; and hosts events that bring together entrepreneurs, investors, corporations and researchers from across the state, region and country.
LaunchTN’s Core Values: We believe in (1) Taking an entrepreneurial approach, (2) Entrepreneurship being transformational, (3) Collaboration being key to success, (4) Being driven to serve and (5) Enjoying the ride.
Who we are looking for: Someone who thinks and acts entrepreneurially, likes a fast moving, collaborative work environment, and wants to be part of a movement that is changing lives and transforming communities across the state. This person should have a strong interest in Tennessee startups, venture capital, and building ecosystems in Tennessee.
What we need this person to do: Launch Tennessee prides itself on being extremely quantitative and data driven when it comes to decision making. This person should be highly analytical with the ability to compile and analyze data in creative ways to help guide our decision making process and add value to our portfolio companies.
- Compile, calculate, and analyze data on Tennessee startup investment activity from various sources such as Pitchbook, SEC filings, and press releases for quarterly KPI tracking, board presentations and an annual research report
- Monitor VC investment trends across various industries, stages, and geographies to help guide strategic planning and programming initiatives
- Benchmark similar startup ecosystems to Tennessee and analyze best practices for Launch Tennessee to implement across the state
- Collaborate with other LaunchTN team members to provide research and support our Portfolio Engagement Program, 36|86, Strategic Plan and other LaunchTN initiatives
Impact Fund: Launched in November 2017, the Impact Fund is a $1.71m seed fund that will make 15-20 investments over the next three years. The fund focuses on investing in Tennessee startups making a social or economic impact with their business.
- Perform due diligence on potential Impact Fund investment opportunities such as market sizing, competitive analysis, and financial analysis
- Develop investment proposals for our Investor Committee to review
- Network with other investors and companies to source new deal flow opportunities
- Process company and investor applications for the Angel Tax Credit and SBIR Matching programs
- Keep up to date, accurate records of both programs and facilitate reporting and coordination with the Department of Revenue and Economic and Community Development state agencies
- 4-Year Bachelor’s degree in Finance, Business, Economics, or Mathematics/Data Science
- Recent undergrad with 1-2 years experience or related internship
- Strong analytical and critical thinking skills
- Creative problem solver
- Strong relationship skills
- Exceptional written and oral communication abilities
- Excellent work ethic; ability to work both collaboratively and independently while managing multiple projects
- Interest in learning about entrepreneurship, venture capital investment, and economic development