NOTE: Local entrepreneurs, investors and inventors are available for interviews and opinion editorials. Contact Laura Braden for more information.
For Immediate Release: November 7, 2012
Source: Launch Tennessee (www.LaunchTN.org)
Contact: Laura Braden, 615-891-8433, firstname.lastname@example.org
MEDIA ADVISORY: LaunchTN Announces
Series of Global Entrepreneurship Week Events Throughout Tennessee
Nashville, TN – Launch Tennessee (LaunchTN), a public-private partnership focused on supporting the creation and development of high-growth companies in the State of Tennessee to foster job creation and economic growth, announced a series of events today in conjunction with Global Entrepreneurship Week (GEW).
Running November 12-18, GEW is the world’s largest celebration of the innovators and job creators who launch startups that bring ideas to life, drive economic growth and expand human welfare. Launched in 2008, it has grown to 115 countries—with nearly 24,000 partner organizations planning more than 37,000 activities that directly engage more than seven million people.
November 12-13: ei2012! (Knoxville)
• HOST: Tech 2020 (More info)
• TIME: 7:00am on Monday, November 12 – 4:30pm EST on Tuesday, November 13
• LOCATION: Marriott, 500 E Hill Avenue, 37915
• SUMMARY: ei2012! will connect innovators with entrepreneurs to foster commercializing new technologies, form new start-ups, and expose entrepreneurs to capital and business opportunities.
November 13: Battle of the Bands (Nashville)
• HOST: Lipscomb University (More info)
• TIME: 6:00pm CST
• LOCATION: Bison Square at Lipscomb University (located next to the Willard Collins Alumni Auditorium (3901 Granny White Pike, 37204))
• SUMMARY: Creating your own mark in music is not so different from creating your own mark in business. The Battle of the Bands is designed to encourage students to pursue their own venture in business much as the musicians in the bands are pursuing their own ventures in entertainment.
November 13: 2012 Spirit of Innovation Awards (Chattanooga)
• HOST: Chattanooga Area Chamber of Commerce (More info)
• TIME: 11:00am-1:00pm EST
• LOCATION: Chattanooga Convention Center, 1150 Carter Street, 37401
• SUMMARY: Innovation fair and luncheon featuring keynote speaker Jonathan Taplin, Director of the Annenberg Innovation Lab at the University of Southern California.
November 13: Economic Outlook Summit (Spring Hill)
• HOST: Southern Middle Tennessee Entrepreneur Centers
• TIME: 11:30am-1:00pm CST
• LOCATION: Spring Hill Conference Center, 100 Northfield Lane, 37174
• SUMMARY: Program includes lunch and an opportunity to meet local entrepreneurs that have successfully completed the TennesSeed Camp Program, as well as networking with legislators and business/community leaders. RSVP to Rena Purdy at chamber AT netease.net.
November 14: Health Care Investor’s Conference (Nashville)
• HOST: Entrepreneur Center (More info)
• TIME: 7:30am-3:00pm CST
• LOCATION: Bass, Berry and Sims, 150 Third Avenue South, Suite 2800, 37201
• SUMMARY: Second annual conference designed to connect investors with leaders in the health care industry. Discussion includes trends in health care investment, as well as generating and fostering opportunities to create health care solutions.
November 14-16: Life Sciences TN-Annual Meeting and Venture Forum (Nashville)
• HOST: Life Sciences Tennessee (More info)
• TIME: 8:00am on Wednesday, November 14 – 1:15pm CST on Friday, November 16
• LOCATION: The Marriott at Vanderbilt, 2555 West End Avenue, 37203
• SUMMARY: The 2012 Life Science Tennessee Annual Meeting promises one of the most compelling gatherings of the state’s life sciences community featuring discussions and presentations on the changing nature of health care delivery; lowering health care costs through new innovations; delivering promising new drugs, especially those afflicted by a rare disease; and providing better nutrition and products while conserving our natural resources.
November 15: Will This Float? (Chattanooga)
• HOST: The Company Lab (Co.Lab) (More info)
• TIME: 6:00pm-10:00pm EST
• LOCATION (UPDATED!): Downtown Public Library, 4th Floor, 1001 Broad Street, 37402
• SUMMARY: Diverse set of startups from Chattanooga and across the region pitch their business ideas to investors and community leaders.
November 15: Entrepreneurship: Putting the Pieces Together (Cookeville)
• HOST: UC Success Now (More info)
• TIME: 9:00am-12:00pm CST
• LOCATION: Leslie Town Centre, One West First Street, 38501
• SUMMARY: Rick Harrison, author, small business owner and television celebrity on the hit TV show Pawn Stars, will speak via live webcast on his professional experiences and the importance of small businesses in America. Adam Shepard, an inspirational speaker and author, Scratch Beginnings, will speak on attitude, perseverance and the entrepreneurial spirit.
November 16-18: Startup Weekend TriCities (Johnson City)
• HOST: AccelNow (More info)
• TIME: 6:30pm on Friday, November 16 – 9:00pmEST on Sunday, November 18
• LOCATION: Accel Now, 2109 W. Market Street, Suite 140, 37614
• SUMMARY: Startup Weekends are 54-hour events where developers, designers, marketers, product managers and startup enthusiasts come together to share ideas, form teams, build products, and launch startups.
November 16: StartUp Field Day (Memphis)
• HOST: Launch Your City and Launch Memphis (More info)
• TIME: 9:00am-12:00am CST
• LOCATION: EmergeMemphis, 516 Tennessee Street, Suite 125, 38103
• SUMMARY: Hundreds of locals will convene to collaborate and grow startups, as well as brainstorm civic entrepreneurial ideas. The day will be highlighted with an “Amazing Race” to showcase three startups going through the various stages of building their company (discovery work to investor pitching to social media).
November 16: Boyd Venture Pitch Competition (Knoxville)
• HOST: UT’s Anderson Center for Entrepreneurship and Innovation (More info)
• TIME: 8:30am-2:00pm EST
• LOCATION: College of Business Administration, 453 Haslam Business Building, 37996
• SUMMARY: Opportunity for student-owned businesses to pitch private investors for $20,000 in seed funding.
For more information, please visit www.LaunchTN.org/GEW.
# # #
Launch Tennessee (LaunchTN) is a public-private partnership focused on supporting the creation and development of high-growth companies in the State of Tennessee with the ultimate goal of fostering job creation and economic growth. LaunchTN is designed to coordinate statewide entrepreneurial efforts; expand access to capital and private investment; enhance the state’s commercialization efforts; and host events that bring together entrepreneurs, mentors, researchers and investors from across the country. For more information, please visit www.LaunchTN.org, and friend LaunchTN on Facebook (www.Facebook.com/LaunchTN), Twitter (www.Twitter.com/LaunchTN), YouTube (www.YouTube.com/LaunchTN) and Flickr (www.Flickr.com/LaunchTN).