The SBIR/STTR Matching Fund is administered by LaunchTN to advance commercialization efforts via a matching of funding awarded to Tennessee based early-stage companies through successful SBIR and STTR applications.
- SBIR/STTR Matching Fund requests should contribute to the overall economic development of Tennessee and aid in LaunchTN’s mission to support entrepreneurship and innovation across the state
- SBIR/STTR awards received prior to January 1, 2017 are ineligible for the program (according to the Notice of Award date)
- For SBIR/STTR awards received after July 1, 2018, matching grant applications must be submitted before 30 days after the contract start date has elapsed
- No one company can receive more than 10% of the total SBIR/STTR Match Program budget ($150,000 in FY2019 due to $1.5M FY2019 budget)
Companies are limited to one Phase I match and one Phase II match every two years based on a calendar cycle
- Companies receiving a match must remain headquartered in Tennessee for 24 months
- Companies receiving a match must commit to semi-annual reporting with LaunchTN
Each application will be reviewed internally by LaunchTN staff members with a goal to determine that each application contributes to the overall economic development of the state and aid in LaunchTN’s mission to support entrepreneurship and innovation in the state.
The program seeks to offer grant funding via the methodology outlined below to entrepreneurs, startups and small business commercializing technology throughout the state.
- Phase I Match Calculations
- $0.50 per $1 SBIR/STTR for companies with principal businesses in Tier 1 and 2 counties
- $0.60 per $1 SBIR/STTR for companies with principal businesses in Tier 3 and 4 counties, female-owned companies, minority-owned companies, veteran-owned companies and companies owned by those with disabilities (per State definition).
- Phase II Match Calculations
- $0.25 per $1 SBIR/STTR for all companies