The Small Business Innovation Research (SBIR) and Small Business Technology Transfer (STTR) Program are separate federal initiatives that provide research and development funding to qualified small businesses in order to stimulate innovation and development in high technology areas. Awards are based on small business qualifications, degree of innovation, technical merit and future market potential. Each year 11 federal agencies participate in the SBIR program and five take part in STTR, awarding over $2 billion in funding for small-business R&D.
What is LaunchTN’s Phase 0/00 Program?
LaunchTN’s SBIR Phase 0/00 Program is a competitive application process designed to financially support selected SBIR/STTR applicants in Tennessee through two levels of support. The Phase 0 award (paid-for expert support services for Phase I proposals) and Phase 00 (for Phase II or Fast Track proposals) programs are an innovative process established to give highly qualified Phase I and Phase II applicants the best possible chance to be competitive in the SBIR/STTR programs in Tennessee. The goal of the Phase 0/00 support effort is to assist TN firms in achieving win rates that are at least double the national averages for Phase I and Phase II wins – and to make every effort to ensure that Phase I winners become Phase II winners.
LaunchTN will again engage Grow Emerging Companies, LLC, to screen, select, and support potential applicants to this program. Mark Henry, a nationally known SBIR/STTR expert and consultant, and his team will be providing this service based on their experience with some 2000 SBIR/STTR proposals.
Services provided to qualified SBIR/STTR applicants are listed below:
• identification/evaluation of potential government R&D funding opportunities in SBIR/STTR and non-SBIR/STTR programs;
• preparation of and monitoring progress toward completing a checklist of critical items that defines responsible parties and deadlines, and assistance in managing the overall grant-production process;
• proposal-production coaching and writing/production assistance, including proposal brainstorming/homework support; Grow’s proprietary “bullet points” tool; additional proprietary Grow proposal-production templates and models; sample proposals and sections; budgeting support; identification of potential outside reviewers; and comprehensive editing and re-writing as needed;
• assistance with the market research necessary to assess the commercial opportunity for the subject technology versus the competitive technologies for the target application;
• assistance in identifying any non-proposer team members/collaborators required for credibility and successful R&D project completion on specific proposals, as well as potential Phase II and Phase III private-sector partners—and assistance in writing/obtaining the letters and resumes needed from those outside parties; assistance with budget preparation and reviews, including the use of Grow’s “Pre-Proposal Data” tool;
• assistance with electronic registration, completion of online forms and required file uploads, and final proposal submission; and
• post-submission/pre-award support, including “Just In Time” and other grant/ contract agency documentation required prior to award.
For those SBIR/STTR applicants accepted into our program, the new Phase 0/00 program will offer two levels of support:
• Level 1 will involve the companies paying a nominal fee which will be applied toward extensive consulting with LaunchTN and GrowEC. Level 1 includes 25-40 hours of support and provides enough assistance for the company to write a complete proposal.
• Level 2 support involves the company signing a contract for further review by LaunchTN, GrowEC, and an external reviewer. The company will only pay for Level 2 support if they win the grant. A company can only receive Level 2 support if they have obtained Level 1 support for the same submission.
Please click HERE to apply