11 Startups Pitch at GIGTANK Demo Day
By Charlie Brock
GIGTANK, a program of The Company Lab in Chattanooga, held the first of several summer demo days scheduled by Tennessee’s accelerators this year. On July 29, 11 startups pitched their business ideas to an audience of 750 people at the Girls Preparatory Academy. GIGTANK startups focus on such industries as additive manufacturing/3D printing, healthcare and smart grid development.
This year’s teams came from across the country and Canada. They are:
- Feetz (San Francisco and Chattanooga): a 3D printing manufacturer and retailer that creates custom-fit footwear for all shoe sizes.
- Lathon Technologies (Atlanta and San Diego): a producer of affordable dual material desktop 3D printers.
- SeamBot (Huntsville, Alabama): a retail-based digital fabrication platform for clothing.
- The Fab Cloud (Chattanooga and Asheville, North Caroline): a web platform that facilitates project collaboration between partners and customers in the additive manufacturing industry.
- TrakTrek 3D (Knoxville, Tennessee): an additive manufacturing service that extends the lifecycle of machinery by engineering and manufacturing legacy replacement parts.
- 3DOps (Chattanooga): a 3D printing manufacturer that provides contract medical devices for pre-surgical planning.
- Nestegg Biotech (Huntsville, Alabama): a biotech solutions provider that leverages 3D printing to spur advancements in biomedicine.
- KORHealth (Chattanooga and Miami): a mobile platform that engages healthcare providers, patients and families in pursuing better health outcomes.
- Cognitics Inc. (San Francisco and Chattanooga): a “big data” driven solution to improve mental health conditions.
- Playorities (Miami): a health and wellness technology solution for childhood obesity prevention service providers.
- GridCure (Toronto, Canada): an electrical utility software provider that offers solutions to utilities that want to take full advantage of the data their smart grids are generating.
The keynote speaker of the event was 3D printing consultant and industry expert Terry Wohlers, president of Wohlers Associates. He gave an overview of the industry and talked about the recent interest in 3D printing and how companies are using it.
This was GIGTANK’s third demo day, and the event gets bigger and better every year. It was a great kick off to the month of demo days happening across Tennessee right now.